Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Narcissist's Quintessential Accessory

..the personal blog.

Yes, I've mocked those individuals who keep a personal blog for years. Not subject blogs, mind you (like slashfood, gridskipper, etc), which actually serve a purpose. I'm talking about the mindless, self-indulgent ramblings of a single person, the ones that sound the same every day: "Well first I got up and had a piece of toast. Then I brushed my teeth. then I went to the store to buy some fish..."

Or maybe that was an episode of Futurama.

Despite my derision towards these types of blogs, I understand the desire to write, to chronicle one's story (however boring it may be to the rest of the Internet population). It's a way to hold onto those 'little things', the minutiae of everyday life that will never make it into long-term memory. I've been keeping a diary for years, and m inner nerd has been screaming for a digital medium for a while now. As for putting the 'diary' in a public forum, well, the desire to share our thoughts and experiences with others is a critical part of human communication.

..at least that's how I'm going to justify it in my head. Deep down I'm sure that some part of me is convinced that my brilliant musings on life, work, living in sin, cooking, traveling and pretending to be social will be immensely entertaining to the world at large. I guess I'll swallow my pride (and my snarky comments) and capitulate to a little self-indulgence.

No comments: