Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Serious Cooking from a Not-So Serious Cook

For those of you who don't know (and if you don't know, you must not know me at ALL), I'm a freak about food. Cooking isn't just an everyday chore for me, it's my hobby, creative outlet, stress relief, passion.. occasionally, it pushes obsession. And nothing will make me happier than a top notch meal- be it at the latest 'it' restaurant, a hole-in-the-wall eatery, or in the homes of my good friends. I've got all the usual magazine subscriptions. I've read everything from Anthony Bourdain's works to Auberge of the Flowering Hearth to Marco Pierre White's autobiography. I've got more cookbooks than I care to count.

Not surprising, I also follow food blogs. One of my absolute favorites is French Laundry at Home, which chronicles one woman's quest to make every recipe in The French Laundry Cookbook. Not only is Carol's aspiration laudable (as these are NOT recipes for beginners), but she accomplishes something terribly rare in the blogger world- she is thoroughly entertaining while being informative. Read her description of cooking soft shelled crabs and I guarantee you'll want to read the whole blog.
Unpretentious, warm and very funny, Carol's approach to gourmet cooking is very refreshing- most of us food-freaks take our hobby (and ourselves) way too darned seriously.

No comments: