Friday, August 10, 2007

Something Geeky This Way Comes

"I've got my twelve sided die and I'm ready to roll with a wizard and my goblin crew
My friends are coming over to my mom's basement, bringin' funyuns and some mountain dew.
I got a big broadsword made out of cardboard and that stereo's a-pumpin zeppelin
It's that time of the night we turn on the black light, and let the dungeons and the dragons begin...
It's D and D!
Fighting with the legends of yore.
It's D and D!Never kissed a lady before. Nope!"
--Stephen Lynch, D&D

He'll swear otherwise until the day he dies, but my boyfriend, God bless him, is a big ol' geek. Alex may not look like one, but trust me, he's a a video game playing, comic book collecting, sci-fi/fantasy reading, futurama/simpsons quoting, anime-watching, tabletop gaming, IT-employed nerd among nerds. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking geeks- in fact I freely admit that I am one. But when the Dungeons and Dragons books come out from under his desk, I believe I am fully-justified in picking on him and his gamer buddies.

Once a month, Alex and and his friends get together for what they call 'Man Day'. This usually amounts to playing tabletop and video games for 12 hours while killing a case or two of beer and a mountain of food. We're hosting this month, and my contribution is to keep my jabs to a minimum, and whip up some edibles to keep the elves and dwarves from deploying a raiding party on our unsuspecting cabinets. (Sorry, can't help it..).

Cooking for this group can be a bit of a challenge for me.. with the exception of Alex, their palates are somewhat limited. OK, they're a lot limited- think chicken fingers and french fries 24/7. I don't think they'll share my enthusiasm for a watermelon, feta and charred jalapeno salad with ginger-mint vinegarette. Any suggestions, folks? Email me, please!

No comments: